Trying to lose weight is such a drag. All of the food rules, restrictions, always feeling hungry and tired... and the scale still won't budge! Sound familiar?
As a society we have become programmed to think that eating "healthy" = eating less. We have come to believe that if you simply eat less and burn more calories then you are living a healthy lifestyle and will maintain a healthy body weight. But, what calories don't tell you is the QUALITY of your diet. Are you nourishing your body properly to allow it to function efficiently? Are you hindering your metabolism by under eating and depriving your body of essential nutrients? A deprived body is a stressed out body. And a stressed out body becomes inflamed, prone to injury, illness, and chronic fatigue. Is this what it means to eat healthy???
Healthy eating should focus on NOURISHMENT, not deprivation. ADDING nutrients, not removing them. You should feel energized, content, stress-free, and happy.
Here are my top 5 heathy eating tips:
1. Eat the rainbow - the more variety you can include into your day from fresh fruits and vegetables the better!
2. Eat less from a box and more from the earth- the closer a food is to its natural state, the more health benefits it has to offer.
3. Eat often- when you skip meals your body tries to conserve energy and can actually slow your metabolism down.
4. Eat protein and healthy fats with every meal- we digest protein and fats more slowly than carbohydrates, therefore we feel more satisfied and less hungry in between meals and snacks.
5. Drink water- Maintaining adequate hydration status throughout the day is imperative to your overall health. Staying hydrated decreases cravings, prevents overeating, detoxes the body, improves energy levels, keeps your metabolism revving, keeps your skin healthy, and your bowels regular.