One of the best things you can do for yourself to help develop healthy eating habits is create a supportive environment. Making changes is HARD and relying on your motivation, or "willpower" every day to make those healthy choices can only get you so far.
By changing your surroundings you can create a supportive environment that makes good decisions for you! A great way to start designing an environment that promotes success is to surround yourself with healthy food options. Have them at home, at your desk, and in your purse. If you are currently struggling with your nutrition I encourage you to identify your biggest barriers.
Don't have time in the morning to make yourself breakfast? Meal Prep. Going out for fast food your only lunch option? Meal Prep. Finding your way to the vending machine for a mid-afternoon snack? Meal prep. Too exhausted in the evening to prepare a home cooked meal? Meal Prep!
Surround yourself with healthy options and you are more likely to make healthier choices.
I love making a batch of healthy muffins for a grab and go breakfast during the week. Below is a recipe that I've been loving lately... I hope you enjoy!
Servings: 12 muffins
2 cups rolled oats
¼ cup flax meal
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
Pinch of salt
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (or cinnamon)
2-3 tablespoons coconut oil
1 cup pumpkin puree
¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
1 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk (I used almond milk)
1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Optional toppings: raw pumpkin seeds, pecan pieces, cacao nibs
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Spray a muffin tin with non-stick spray.
3. In a large bowl, mix together all the dry ingredients
4. In a medium bowl combine wet ingredients. Stir together well.
5. Add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir to combine.
6. Divide batter evenly between 12 muffin cups, top with desired toppings and bake for 25 minutes or until tops are golden brown and crispy.
8. I love topping these with a dollop of nut butter and having a couple of hard boiled eggs on the side!