To eat breakfast, or to not eat breakfast, that is the question.
Some of the most common challenges I hear clients struggle with are; cravings, mid-afternoon energy slumps, feeling ravenous around 4:00 PM, and feeling "out of control" around food in the evening. And more often than not it's related to under eating in the first half of your day, or choosing the wrong foods that send your blood sugar out of whack.
Your body and mind need nourishment! Your metabolism needs to be supported, your brain needs energy, you need to consistently feed your body whole, natural, nutrient-dense foods so that it continues to function properly.
Having the first meal of your day within 60-90 minutes after waking up stabilizes
your blood sugar, regulates hormones, and ignites your metabolism. This meal is
designed to “break the fast” while you were sleeping, so filling up your gas tank with quality, high-fiber carbohydrates in the morning is important to fuel your day!
If you haven't read my blog post on blood sugar stability, check it out below to get lowdown on your blood sugar and why you should learn how to keep it in check:
-> The Blood Sugar Roller Coaster
This recipes is perfect for busy mornings - simply pop it in the microwave for a minute or so and you're ready to rock 'n' roll.
It checks all of the boxes for a delicious and balanced kick start to your day:
PROTEIN + FAT + FIBER
When you eat a breakfast with the combination of PROTEIN + FAT + FIBER you'll feel more satiated, focused, and energized throughout your day. Stabilizing your blood sugar and feeling satiated are crucial to eliminating cravings, preventing the energy slumps, and helping you feel more in control around food.
Enjoy a slice of this Frittata with either a piece of fruit or some breakfast potatoes (russet or sweet potato)!
½ lb Country Sage Sausage
1 T coconut oil
½ onion, diced
1 garlic clove, minced
1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
6 cups spinach, roughly chopped
salt and pepper
8 large eggs, whisked
½ cup milk
½ cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F.
2. In a large, cast iron skillet, brown sausage until no longer pink.
3. Heat coconut oil in skillet and sauté onion and garlic for about one minute, stirring to get browned, and then add the bell pepper and cook an additional 4 minutes.
4. Add the spinach 2 cups at a time to the skillet, stirring until it begins to wilt.
5. Transfer veggie mixture to a baking dish and sprinkle the crumbled bacon evenly over the veggies.
6. In a separate medium-sized bowl, crack 8 large eggs and add the milk, shredded cheese, ¼ tsp salt and ¼ tsp pepper. Whisk until combined. and pour the mixture into the baking dish with the veggies.
7. Transfer *baking dish to the preheated oven for 25 minutes, until completely set and slightly golden
*Note: You can also turn this recipe into individual egg bites. Pour egg mixture evenly into greased muffin cups. Fill each cup about 3/4 of the way. Bake for 15-18 minutes.